Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pear up side down cake with choc cream

I have a little problem with my love of baking, 1. I can´t possibly eat everything I want to bake and 2. my boyfriend is kinda "picky" of the sweets that he eats. He loves the things that he loves and he wants me to make those things preferably all the time :), but I get bored of making the same thing all of the time so, once in a while I try something new to try and find a new "love" for him !! so this is one of those tries and it scored good :) jibbyyy





It´s a very simple easy to make cake, and I suppose you can use any fruit you want like pineapple or apples etc.

50g butter, plus extra for greasing
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
165ml milk
3 large pears
240g caster sugar
2 large eggs
300g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bi carbonated soda
160g sour cream
1 tsp cinnamon (the next time I will make this I will probably skip or at least reduce the cinnamon)
150g soft light brown sugar

-Heat the oven to 170C/ 335F / gas mark 4.
-Lightly butter a 20cm cake tin  ( preferably not a loose bottom one since it might leak) and line the sides so they reach higher than the tin with greaseproof paper.
-Stir the milk and essence together, Stir well and set aside to infuse.
-Peel and quarter the pears, remove the cores and cut each quarter in half length ways, or any other way that you feel is aesthetically appealing.
-For the cake, whisk the caster sugar and eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy. Sieve the flour and baking powder and soda into the bowl, then stir it in, along with the milk and cream.
- Gently melt the butter in a small pan, add the cinnamon (if you want the cinnamon) and brown sugar, and stir until it has formed a smooth paste. Spread this evenly around the bottom of the cake tin.
-Place the pear slices neatly over the sugary paste, then spread the cake mixture on top.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top of the cake turns a pale golden brown, and the cake has risen. Reduce the temperature to 160C /320F/gas mark 3 and bake for another 25 minutes (I actually had to bake it for 25 min longer than the required time), or until a sharp knife or skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven, leave to rest for five minutes, or until cooled and invert to a serving plate.




As it´s got cinnamon in it, it probably tastes fantastic with vanilla ice cream, but I have someone I was going to serve this to who happens to love chocolate whipped cream so thats what I made. I´ts really easy just sieve cocoa and powdered sugar to heavy cream and leave in the fridge for about ten minutes and then whip it like usual.
This is a really dense cake so you can´t eat a lot of it but it´s really good, I recommend you have a go!

And hopefully I will share my new chair with all of you soon, it´s been so dreary and gray here lately that I haven´t really had good lighting in the house, here is hoping for some sun :D
Until next time xx...



 

1 comment:

Lasso the Moon said...

Wow. That looks delicious.
Anna